Carborator <sic> Trouble

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Carborator <sic> Trouble
From: dombey@ssc-vax.boeing.com (John R Dombey)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 98 13:49:11 pdt

 Doug Beekman wrote about his dissatisfaction with the Weber carb
 conversion on his '79 MGB, its performance, and his lack of success
 in improving things.

Regarding the setup of the Weber downdraft carb / header combination, the
January 14 1991 Triumph/MGB Newsletter from The Roadster Factory has an
article on the subject on page 2.  Specifically, the author put such a
conversion kit on a 1974 TR6 - two carbs versus one for the MGB.  Among the
areas addressed are fuel pump, accellerator linkage, rerouting the fuel
line, and most importantly, the distributor.  The distributor on the later
TR6s have a vacuum retard unit only - no advance unit (only centrifugal).
It seems that the Webers like a different advance curve than the stock
Z-S 175CDs, and that for him the ultimate solution was to replace the
distributor with a GT6 unit which had both advance and retard diaphragms.
Another solution suggested is to have the original unit recurved, or to
try different centrifugal advance springs.  I have the conversion kit on
my '69 TR6 (which has both vacuum advance and retard), and have not felt
the need to diddle with it (yet!) as it performs better than the old
non-adjustable-needle Strombergs it came with.  If you don't have a copy
of the newsletter, or can't find a friend locally with one, Email me your
home address and I can send you a xerox of the article

Regards,

John

John Dombey             UUCP:  ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!dombey    |           ///
MailStop 84-41          INTERNET: dombey@ssc-vax.ds.boeing.com |      __  ///
P.O. Box 3999           FAX: (206) 773-7708 |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~      \\\///
Seattle, WA 98124-2499  TEL: (206) 773-5468 |  and Bob's your uncle!   \XX/