Re: Carborator <sic> Trouble

To: dombey@ssc-vax.boeing.com
Subject: Re: Carborator <sic> Trouble
From: zrol01@trc.amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 92 12:31:55 CDT
Greg Partyka and I just built a Spitfire 1500 using a Weber
downdraft carb.  We had quite a difficult time getting the
inlet manifold to fit properly therefore we had to overcome
a gigantic vacuum leak.  We finally removed enough metal (with
files) from the inlet and exhaust manifolds for the thing to
fit.  After which it ran great.  The vacuum 'adjustment' to the
distributer was disconnected.  As for the mechanical
advance, a set of springs of varying strengths are available
from Moss-TriumphTune in England.  A word of advice, order
TWO kits!  Each 'kit' will do exactly 1/2 of a distributor!

We also added an Allison electronic ignition.  The spark is
hot and sure.

As the final proof of the job, Greg drove the car to Calgary,
Alberta from Tulsa, Oklahoma while recording 32 miles/gal!

Needless to say, we're sold on the hot ignitions and the
Weber carbs.

Rick

     Richard O. Lindsay        /     __  __      __  __
  Senior Research Scientist   /   / /_/ /_  / / /_/ /_/
  Amoco Production Research  /   / / / /_/ /_/ / / / \
                            / /_/
                           /
My opinions are my own, untill they're worth something, at
which point they become the property of my employer...