Re: Sprite Sway Bar Mounting

To: TANNEN@babson.bitnet
Subject: Re: Sprite Sway Bar Mounting
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 92 9:07:43 CDT
skip tannen, TANNEN@BABSON.bitnet, writes>

>A normal Sprite sway
>bar has the A-frame mounting holes on a horizontal axis, but this one
>is not stock and has the mounting holes on a vertical axis

>Someone suggested getting "Heim joints", but I have no idea what they are

Spherical end joints.   Rose joints to the UK chaps.  These are really neat.
No spongy rubber.

>or where one would find them.  I need a threaded assembly that makes a
>right angle, as opposed to the stock "drop" link assembly.

Take the bar and lots of measuring devices and get to a phone.  Call:

The Winner's Circle
19144 Detroit Road
Rocky River, Ohio   45116
(216) 333-4666

This sounds like one of their bars.  Is is gold-anodized?  Does it have four
little collars with setscrews trapped on it?  Call these guys right away and
tell them what you have and what you don't have.  This is a VERY good bar, but
the secret is largely in the heim joint mounting.  There are two diameters.  I
think they are 3/4" and 7/8"  I had the big one on my departed Spridget.
What's body lean? :-)

Be sure to get the center mounting stuff from them, too, don't use the stock
rubber bushings and brackets.

>I have an autocross this Sunday

Time is pretty tight to get the parts, but the installation is a breeze.

If you are in California, maybe these guys are close enough to make a
difference.  They sell the same bar I think, but for more money.

Tom Colby or Gary Neuer
The Austin-Healey Store
8225 Remmet Avenue
Canoga Park, CA   91304
(818) 992-3234
(818) 996-5212

Don't waste your time calling other britcar joints.  They all just sell ADDCO
bars for high prices.

SCCA rules, this is legal in Stock class.  To make the car really handle, you
need the rear bar, too.  The front alone will cut body lean for less camber
change and make wheelspin impossible, but cause a lot of understeer in long
sweepers.  Winner's Circle has adjustable rear ones.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org (infrequent mail checks)
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (lists go here)
"GM could build '57 Chevies, Ford could build '55 T-Birds and Chrysler could...
Hmm.  Well, Chrysler could build Chevies too." - Dennis Miller, TONIGHT 8/26/92