solenoid(?) problem

To: mg info <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: solenoid(?) problem
From: Randy Plant <rlplant@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1992 08:52:38 -0700 (PDT)
        I'm having problems starting my 1967 MGB.  For the past several
months when I switched on the ignition the car would occasionally not start,
and at those times I would notice a soft whining sound from the front
right  of the car (just under, and anterior, to the dashboard).  On those
occasions the car would start right up when I pushed the switch on the
solenoid.  I thought the problem was the solenoid, but putting in a new
one hasn't corrected the problem.  The problem has worsened: now the car
doesn't start at all, I no longer hear that strange whining sound, and
pushing directly on the solenoid switch doesn't start the car. The
ignition light goes on and I hear the fuel pump click when I turn the
switch, so at least that portion of the ignition switch works.
        In addition to wondering what is going on I have the following
 questions:
1. Is there anything between the ignition switch and the solenoid?  The
wiring diagram shows nothing, but I wonder if there is some other switch
or relay. (and that may be the source of the problem)
2.  What was causing that strange whining sound?
Dumb question #3.  Under the dashboard on the far right side are two
metallic cylinders with what looks to be a hydraulic coupling.  What is
it?  (I could almost swear that the sound I heard came from there, but it
was hard to tell.)
Dumb question #4.  Is there some obvious way to tell if this MG has
overdrive?  The previous owner said it didn't have it, and I just assumed
that was true. However, the car has a toggle switch on the dash at the
spot where it should be.
        Any help is appreciated.  Please respond by email.
        Randy Plant  (rlplant@milton.u.washington.edu)