Re: solenoid(?) problem

To: rlplant@milton.u.washington.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: solenoid(?) problem
From: moore@portal.vpharm.com (Jonathan Moore)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 92 9:56:56 EDT
I'm not sure how the B and Midget starters differ, but in my experience with
the Midget, the whining sound is the starter turning, but not fast enough to
engage the flywheel. This is due to either grease on the shaft binding the
pinion gear or insufficient current getting to the starter motor. I can
reproduce this on or off my car using the "50 Amp engine start" mode on my
Sears Battery Charger. In this mode, there is not enough current flowing to
get the pinion turning fast enough to slide down the shaft far enough to engage
the flywheel. However, with the battery fully charged, there is more than enough
juice to get the pinion turning fast enough. I know it sounds obvious, but the
first thing to try, seeing as how you can't even get the starter to turn at all,
is cleaning the battery posts (making sure the thing is fully charged) and
clamping
the cables on tight. After that, you have the option of bypassing the solenoid
completely to see if your starter is shot. But either way, don't go to the
hassle
of removing the starter unless you are sure it is getting enough current.

--
    Jonathan M. Moore
    Protein NMR Group

Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated                email: moore@vpharm.com
40 Allston Street
Cambridge, MA 02139-4211         "We don't leave success to chance ... I guess"
(617) 576-3111  Fax:(617) 576-2109