MGC head removal-- Success!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGC head removal-- Success!
From: william sadler <wsadler@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1992 12:21:01 -0500
Last Friday evening, with the help of some friends and some beer,
I pulled the head on my MGC.  The only real problems I
experienced were having a socket get lodged behind the grill
in front of the radiator necessitating a grill removal which
my friend videotaped while commenting things like "notice that
we are not actually even working on the head at this point."
Also, when I removed the pushrods some of the tappets fell.  I think
they shouldn't be hard to reconnect since there are side covers for
access.

The head gasket was not cracked, but we couldn't see any cracks
in the head itself.  It appeared that it might be warped and that
a coolant/oil mixture was finding its way under the head
near the front three valves.

I took it to the machine shop on Saturday, and they megafluxed it
and milled it for $20.  It was warped badly, but not cracked (big
sigh of relief.)

So, I just need to get a head gasket ($40) and all my car problems
will go away.

NOT!

Will
c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c
c  _    _   ___    ___           Ceeasaurus!                      c
c | \  / | /   \  /   \  Will    | wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu c
c |  \/  ||   __ |       Sadler  | or will@cica.indiana.edu       c
c |      | \___/  \___/       Bloomington, Indiana                c
c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c