Driving South...

Subject: Driving South...
From: "Gregory T. Fieldson" <krikor@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1993 12:28:17 -0400
After spending a couples weeks up on jack stands, my TR7 is down
on the ground and rolling.  Assuming I don't find any water leaks
(why it went up in the first place - the water pump was re-sealed)
I will be driving from DC to the Gulf Coast of Alabama next week,
to attend a wedding.

I am curious if people can suggest any mechanics numbers I should
have with me in case of serious failure (route is something like
Shenandoah Valley to Nashville then South on 65 past Mobile to
the gulf).  Any Triumph capable places on the way will be worth
noting.

Interestingly enough, the bride's family seems to have a bit of the
Triumph bug, as her Father has a TR4 and Spit stored in a barn in Indiana
somewhere, and her brother just finished a TR6 restoration.

Also, I located the engine number on my block, and it was not anywhere
near where I expected it to be (or was led to believe it should be).
The number was stamped just above (and slightly aft) of the RH engine
mount, on the curved part of the block.  I guess this is another
example of the quality control at BL in the 70's.

Greg F.
(Who is preparing the appropriate sacrifices to the appease the
 automotive gods in preparation for a safe trip...)