Re: *MY* TR6 died...

To: british-cars@hoosier, paisley@cme.nist.gov
Subject: Re: *MY* TR6 died...
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 93 09:46:43 -0700
Scott,
Two comments from personal experience:

1. Opt for an overdrive everytime.  It makes a BIG difference.

2. Visual inspection is NOT good enough to tell anything except obvously
trashed gears.

When I purchased a used overdive transmission from Scott #1, we pulled the
side cover & it looked good.  Sinse I do not like the idea of R&Ring
transmissions for an ongoing hobby, I had a transmission rebuilder disassemble
the box to check it out and reseal it.

He ended up replacing a gear on the lay shaft, two syncros and mentioned that
someone had previously disassembled the OD & put a part in backwards.
Not only would the OD not have worked, but the part would have come appart.

When I had the Land Rover engine rebuilt, I had someone go through the
transmission even though it was working just fine.  There was a retaining
clip for second gear that was about 1/3rd missing!, the dog ears were badly
worn on (first or second), and there was a crack in the other (first or second)
gear tooth.

So first visual inspection will catch only the very bad boxes.  Second unless
R&Ring transmissions is your idea of a fun summer afternoon, you really
want to have every part of a box inspected and measured by someone who
knows what they are doing.

Just my $0.02

TeriAnn
TR3 now with overdrive
MGBGT now with overdrive
Land Rover - thinking about getting an overdrive