Re: Dr. Bob's luck of late.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
Subject: Re: Dr. Bob's luck of late.
From: Robert.Bownes@East.Sun.COM (Robert Bownes {Professional Services})
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 93 11:11:28 EDT
->p.s.  If you remember Dr. Bobwrench's sage of the blown GT6 race engine and
->dieing TR6 engine (no oil pressure), I'm told to top it all some bozo ran a
->red light an t-boned his chevy.  3 cars dead in 2 weeks or so.  I think Bob
->should give in to fate and start walking....
->

Well, since the only thing I have left to drive is 27 feet worth of
flatbed, I've certainly considered it. Given the way my luck has been
going lately, I've felt like moving to Vermont and raising cabbages.

Yes, in fact, someone who was asleep at the wheel ran a red light @ >
55 MPH last Saturday morning and hit my 89 Beretta, totaling it. I was
fine, sore for a few days to be sure, but fine thanks to the wonder of
seatbelts. The other guy broke his arm and needed a few stitches where
a roadsign the susequently struck sliced the (fabric) door of his
sport/ute open....

The Chevy is in fact a complete write off. Everything in front of the
front bumper is not smushed, but missing in it's entirety, scattered
over the next 70-80 feet of road. The hood landed about 60 feet away in
a crumpled up little ball.  The radiator was torn in half. The
subframe/unibody was twisted as far back as the seat tracks. It was a
great way to start a weekend. Alive that is. Fortunatly, the TR-was
broken.  If I'd been in that, I would have been 3 feet further out into
the intersection and caught it in the door, and probably be dead. Just
sinking in now...

On an LBC note, the Spitfire engine is coming back together with a new
block.  The old one is definitly a doorstop, having had signifigant
portions of piston flail around along with a rod that came off the
crankshaft, and an oil pump that had been shattered. The new block has
been going together with as much TRS as I can recover safely from the
old block. I however snapped off a clutch bolt in the Al flywheel last
night. This however, turned out to be a good thing, as subsequent
inspection revealed cracks in several other bolts holding the clutch to
the flywheel. They are all being replaced tonight. And my luck seems to
be turning around. Upon drilling out the remains of said bolt, I put a
drill bit 1/16" smaller than the shank of the bolt dead center down the
bolt, never toutching the Al threads. Tonight I fix up an oilpan, bolt
the head on, bolt the whole mess to the tranny, and put it back in the
car.

Anyone know what it takes to put a 1500 tranny on a 1147 engine? The
driven plate has finer splines, so it won't just bolt up, but could I
use a 1500 driven plate with an 1147 pressure plate? I've got this
spare 1500 OD tranny see...