Marque Wars

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Marque Wars
From: Mark_Banaszak-Holl@brown.edu
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 93 11:33:29 -0400
Hmmm,  I've never lost an autocross to a Triumph.....(plenty of Dodge
colts).

 The big Healey
folks of the AHSTC separated the autocross into two classes a
few years back:  fast cars (Sprites) and slow cars (all the big Healey's)
so the folks spending $20,000 on their cars wouldn't keep losing
to the folks spending under $5,000.  ( I suspect this is the problem
with the VSCCA as well).  Why bother with the vintage junk anyway?
SCCA regular autocrossing is plenty of fun, you just won't win racing
against cars of the 80's and 90's with your 50's or 60's engines,
transmissions,
and suspensions if you stay in the stock classes.  I guess this is the
reason
for the vintage racing in the first place.   Like I said, guy's with
>$20,000
cars just hate losing to guy's and gal's with <$5000 cars.

If I could just track down the Sprite that
took first (when I took second) in West Virginia a few years back...
This guy redlined at 10,000 and never shifted out of first gear for
the whole course, might be a healthy challenge for the TR4.  The
real problem with this sort of challenge is its so course dependent as
to which car is favored.  I think teams of two cars should be put up
from both sides and one of the normal SCCA events used for the course.
I think the Austin-Healey side could be well represented by my Sprite
and my friend Stu's 100-4.  We did OK together.  Perhaps Scotty with
that big 6 of his would prefer to take on Stu all by himself???

Mark M. Banaszak Holl
Brown University