4-speed or 5-speed? Make up your mind! (Shoot it?)

To: mjj@muppet.bt.co.uk
Subject: 4-speed or 5-speed? Make up your mind! (Shoot it?)
From: Ingo_Dean@Warren.MentorG.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 93 09:02:00 EDT

  Ingo>  1.)  After driving for about 45 minutes, I parked it.  Five minutes
  Ingo>       later I tried to start it.  It wouldn't turn over.  (It did
  Ingo>       "click", however).  Popped the hood.  Checked all the
  Ingo>       connections.  Everything looked fine.  Tried it again, and it
  Ingo>       turned over and started fine.  Battery?  Starter?  Something to
  Ingo>       do with the heat?

 Mike> This is a solenoid problem usually caused by heat (is the starter motor
 Mike> heat shield in place?)

I never noticed a heat shield.  What's it look like?  (My shop manual
is "in the mail".)

  Ingo>  2.)  About 10 minutes later, I finally got it up fast enough to go to
  Ingo>       5th gear.  No dice.  It just wouldn't go in.  All I got was that
  Ingo>       nasty grinding sound.  I pulled over and went through all the
  Ingo>       gears with the engine off, but still couldn't get it into 5th.
  Ingo>       Should I shoot it?  I'm not enough of a mechanic to tackle a
  Ingo>       transmission.  What's it take to debug this one?  How about to
  Ingo>       fix it?

 Mike> Never come across this problem before, but others have had problems
 Mike> with the linkage (and therfore engagement) which can be cured by new
 Mike> linkage mounts.

Odd thing.  I got pissed off at it and decided to drive it to work
today _anyway_.  I tried to upshift into 5th a few times on the back
roads, but it wouldn't do it.  When I hit the interstate, however, it
went in like magic.  (Maybe because I shifted without thinking about
it?)  Not wanting to push my luck, I never downshifted again until I
got off the interstate....

 Mike> Are you sure that you have a 5-speed? ;-)

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  ;-)