Serious cornering problem.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Serious cornering problem.
From: paulg@cme.nist.gov (Paul Gilders)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 93 09:02:55 EDT
Hi folks,

        Well another weird phenomenon has happened to my TR6. I'm not
really sure how long it's been doing it, but my guess is that it's
shown these symptoms for quite a while, but I've not gathered the
statistics to make a more informed description until now. Anyway,
basically every time I'm one my way home, my final turn into our road
is a sharp right hand bend. This is the last chance I get to hear the
engine roar before shutting it off in the parking lot. Unfortunately,
whilst I would like to show the neighbours how smoothly the engine
accelerates around the corner, I have noticed that it tends to
splutter and occasionally it has died completely! It restarts
immediately once on the straight again. Further tests reveal that this
spluttering happens on all sharp right hand bends (or smoother ones
taken at speed). I assume the problem can only be fuel connected,
since I find it difficult to see how a right hand turn would change
spark characteristics. However, I'm not entirely sure what would be
the root of the problem. I suppose my initial feeling would be that
the float levels in the carbs are not set quite right, such that there
is starvation when the fuel falls to one side of the chamber. Or maybe
I've just got a weak fuel pump (could explain my poor starting problem
also) that is unable to overcome the sideways backpressure (pump is on
left side of engine, carbs on the right).

        Anybody else have similar experiences or other ideas??

        Thanks,

        Paul.