Re: Stromberg Carburator rebuilt advise wanted

To: davec@ece.concordia.CA, british-cars@autox.team.NET
Subject: Re: Stromberg Carburator rebuilt advise wanted
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 93 10:17:04 EDT
> The Zenith Stromberg carb on my Spitfire is giving me a lot of trouble.

[tale of woes elided]

> The mechanic said that the Stromberg does not take rebuilting very well and
> suggested to replace the carb

The mechanic does the ZS no justice. Careful rebuilding and proper
adjustment should give you quite adequate results. Note that proper
adjustment is the key - there are those on the net that have the magical
procedure at their fingertips, but I can look it up for you if nobody
else comes up with it. For $13, what have you got to lose?

> Should I go ahead and try to rebuilt the carb or should I listen to his
> advise and save myself from future headaches.

Learning to properly adjust the carburettor is going to save you the most
headaches. Also ermember to check for vacuum leaks - well-adjusted carburettors
won't help with that.

> Also is it worth it to put a Grose Jet value into my carb if I rebuilt it.

Many people who have had things to say about Grose jets have had rather
negative comments. Things like "I can't get it to stop leaking". It would
seem that the best value in Grose jets can be had by not using them...

Let me know if you need ZS tuning instructions.

--
---
John R. Lupien