Re: Wierd TR4 Overdrive/Tranny Problems

To: passaretti@sol.med.ge.com
Subject: Re: Wierd TR4 Overdrive/Tranny Problems
From: mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 93 18:04:47 CDT
Mike,

   > Numero Uno:
   >    The pump makes pump noises, the overdrive solenoid
   >    engages, but no OD action.  I've checked fluid levels,
   >    but I guess I'm going to have to find a 750psi gauge
   >    the local BritCar shop to look at it?  Anything else
   >    simple I can look at before I do that?  I've got the
   >    O/D service book, but I lack many of the tools and all
   >    of the experience...

Before you exert all of this effort, clean the filter (accessed through
the plate on the side of the case opposite the solenoid) and be sure the
ball bearings that act as check valves are in place.  I was having the
same problems with my newly installed, used OD.  The thing turned out to
be missing the ball in the lower of the two check valves.  Cheap and
easy to fix, thankfully.  Hope yours is that easy too.

If these things check out, make sure the solenoid is adjusted properly.
If you still find no joy, check the fluid level again.  It takes some
time for the oil to get from the tranny back to the OD sometimes.  Fill
it, run it around a little and top it off.  You may have to do it a
couple of times.  Hope this helps.  You'll love it when you get it
going!

Good luck,
Mike mburdick@unmc.edu