Re: TR6 turn/splutter

To: paulg@cme.nist.gov
Subject: Re: TR6 turn/splutter
From: rkriggs@riggs.b30.ingr.com (Kevin Riggs)
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 93 9:55:48 CDT
Paul,

>       Well another weird phenomenon has happened to my TR6.
 [...]
> accelerates around the corner, I have noticed that it tends to
> splutter and occasionally it has died completely!
 [...]
> spluttering happens on all sharp right hand bends (or smoother ones
> taken at speed). I assume the problem can only be fuel connected,
> since I find it difficult to see how a right hand turn would change
> spark characteristics.
 [...]
>       Anybody else have similar experiences or other ideas??

This sounds very familiar.  My TR6 used to do this on left-hand turns.
I never knew exactly what caused it, but it went away after I pulled the
head off for a valve job.  My hypothesis was that my intake manifold had
been loose; a hard left turn cocked it loose enough to allow air into
the fuel stream.

You say that the car splutters; net wisdom is that a spluttering car has
fuel problems, as you've hypthesized, not electrical problems.  It's
easy to check if your intake manifold (check the carbs, too, I guess) is
loose---just see if you can tighten the nuts.  But you'd think that a
loose intake manifold would be a problem on left-hand, not right-hand,
turns, since in a left turn inertia would tend to pull it away from
the head.  Still, it's easy to check...

How well secured is the fuel line, between the end of the steel line at
the frame rail beneath the bulkhead and the fuel pump?  That's where I
have my filter, and if that line wasn't secured well, it might kink
easily.  (However, I'd still expect there to be enough fuel in the float
bowl to insulate you from this effect.)

I wouldn't count out electrical problems, though.  If you had a wire in
your primary ignition circuit with a bare spot on it, it could short out
against the block.  Maybe the coil-distributor high-voltage wire is
loose on one end.

Your float-level theory sounds good to me; in a right turn the gas would
slosh away from the jet.

I doubt the fuel pump theory, though.  If the pump stopped or slowed
down in a turn, I wouldn't expect you to run out of gas for another
quarter mile (unless your float levels are also way off).  Besides,
having torn down a couple of TR6 mechanical pumps, I can't imagine the
mechanism by which inertia could affect its performance.  Unless it
wasn't bolted securely to the block?  Right-turns would aggrevate that.

As far as Scotty Paisley's Northern Hemisphere theory goes... well, I
suspect a filter problem where minute, insane notions produced by the
right hemisphere of his brain are not being effectively filtered by the
left hemisphere.  The problem can easily be corrected by driving several
days across the dusty, dry south with the top down,  thereby baking out
the impure notions... :^)

Good luck, Paul!

Kevin Riggs
Intergraph Corporation                               TEL: (205) 730-3074
Mailstop: GD3000                                     FAX: (205) 730-3453
Huntsville, AL  35894-0001                    rkriggs@riggs.b30.ingr.com