Problem: My Wife wants an Alfa

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Problem: My Wife wants an Alfa
From: dombey@plato.ds.boeing.com (John R Dombey)
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 93 07:56:28 PDT
Will,

I've never had an Alfa (though I've considered it), but I have had both
a '69 Fiat 124 Spider (spyder?), and a rare, exclusive '60 1100 cabriolet
(only ~860 made, more holes than metal, frozen maserati engine...)  My
experience is:  The eyetalian cars (resorting to personification here...)
were very much as I would expect a tempermental mistress to be, and by
lbc's (spitfire, TR6, TR8 so far) have been like good, reliable friends.
The breakdowns of my lic's were often malicious, and fiendishly timed for
maximum inconvenience.  Lbc breakdowns have been friendlier, more convenient,
and often optional:  if you know there's a problem, and there's a work-around,
it ceases to be a problem.  Parts for my lic's were not unreasonable, (except
for the 1100, for which only the rear brake cylinders were available, I kid
you not), but it always took a lot of shopping to get the best deal.  Also,
I never had to deal with eyetalian car mechanics/dealers.

As Terriann pointed out, if she doesn't get one, she'll always wonder if
she's really missing something.  Do take the advice and let _her_ worry the
maintenance problem.  I am trying the same thing:  My wife has wanted a
series III XJ6 for a long time (like since they were current), and I'm
finally ready to do it, but she is now thinking 'Maybe something newer, like
and infiniti or something'.  I told her that if she opts for something newer
like that (but not _brand new_) maintenance was going to be done by someone
else, like the dealer, and at her expense, 'cause I'm not equiped to deal with
it (either emotionally or mechanically).

Be sure to let us know which way it goes.

Kindest regards,

John