Re: British Cars Digest #876 Thu Jul 8 01:15:02 MDT 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #876 Thu Jul 8 01:15:02 MDT 1993
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdbc.vid.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 93 11:35:51 PDT
Dear MrMike

Your overdrive problem and your reverse problem may be one and the same.

Overdrives will not work in reverse and if you engage them in reverse
they can be trashed. Normally the switchs on the top of the transmission
blocks power to the solinoid in reverse ( and in one or more of the forward
gears) but if the solinoid is ajusted wrong or the switch&solinoid is wires
wrong it can engage in reverse. When it does go wrong the symtoms sound like
those you describe.

TR6s came with "A" type overdrives in the earlier cars and "J" type overdrives
in the later cars. I don't know which overdrive you have. The ajustment problem
with the solinoid lever pretains only to the "A" type, but a wiring problem
could relate to either.

Good luck. I hope it turns out to be simple
/dickn