XJ12 Was Dead, Lives Again

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: XJ12 Was Dead, Lives Again
From: "Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Date: 8 Jul 1993 15:58:38 U
                       Subject:                               Time:3:01 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          XJ12 Was Dead, Lives Again             Date:7/8/93
The XJ12 lives again. Thanks for all the helpful responses! Only one flame. I
will summarize the suggestions I got both from postings and direct email.
1. Ignition amplifier overheating - this from an XJ12 owner among others, he
suggested moving the amplifier to the radiator top rail
2. Coil overheating, 4 different failure modes were described
3. Electronic ignition module - I presume this meant the pickup in the
distributor
4. Ballast resistor overheating
5. Oil pressure-to-fuel pump switch intermittently on - Huh? But this made me
think of the fuel pump changeover switch
6. Electronic control unit ground wire
7. Water in the fuel and fuel filter
8. Gas tank vent(s) plugged or blocked
9. Vapor lock, fuel lines running too near something hot
10.Stuck choke - this car has diaphragms and pistons in the carbs which I
checked -  not stuck, dampers filled with oil
11.Stuck choke plate(s) - this car doesn't have them but it does have fuel
orifice plates which could get clogged, but weren't
12.Stuck float
13.Stuck needle valves
14.Dented metal fuel line or other flow restriction
15.Fuel line hose collapsed
AND THE WINNER IS: Ignition amplifier, kinda sorta. I took it off to move it to
the radiator top rail and found a corroded loose wire to the ballast resistor.
Never would have found it if I hadn't moved the amplifier. I'll move the coil
and ballast resistor away from the engine heat too, just to be thorough.
Hopefully find time for a test drive this weekend. Thanks to all (except the
one pyromaniac).

To Scott Fisher(scott@psy.uwa.oz.au) : I would like to get on the Jag list.
I've sent you email but I don't know if you've received it.
Rob Reilly(reilly@admail.fnal.gov)