Help! (Brake master cylinder rebuilding)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Help! (Brake master cylinder rebuilding)
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 93 17:01:34 -0700
Please, someone rescue my sanity!  Since I have a bunch of parts removed
from the Europa anyhow, I thought it might be a good idea to rebuild the
master cylinder.  I still think it's a good idea, but I can't get the
bloody thing apart! If anyone has experience with Girling tandem master
cylinders, I would sure appreciate some advice.

At the moment there are two pieces that I am unable to remove: The
reservoir, and what I guess is an anti-backflow valve.  Here's some
crude ASCII art to illustrate what I'm referring to:

            +-----------------------------+
            |                             | <---Reservoir
            |                             |
            |                         /-------- Anti-backflow valve
            |                        /    |
            +--|--|--\              |     |
Nipple------> +|--|+   \---------+--|---+-+     +-+
              \----/             |  V   |       | |
          +----|--|--------------+------+-------| |
          |                                     | |
          |                                     | |
          +-------------------------------------| |
                                                | |
                                                +-+

>From what I can tell, the reservoir is just snapped into the front
inlet.  I can rotate the who thing around the nipple and it doesn't seem
to unscrew, but I'm afraid to pull too hard on it and break the plastic
reservoir.  So question #1 is, how do I get the reservoir off?

Question #2 is, how do I get the valve out of the cylinder casting?  The
valve itself had a small C clip retaining a spring that apparently holds
something like a miniature intake valve shut.  This also has the effect
of retaining the plunger in the cylinder bore.  Obvious I need to remove
the valve, but I'm not certain how it's retained.  The valve fitting has
a 1/2-inch hex in it, but I sure can't unscrew it.  I'm starting to
wonder whether this isn't some sort of press-fit.

I've applied a small amount of heat, but I'd rather not do that too much
because I don't want to ruin the rubber seals before I see what kind of
shape they're in, and find out whether I can get new ones.

Does anyone have some hints for me?

-coryc

|     >> Disclaimer: I speak for Sequent only in our hardware manuals <<     |
| Cory R. Carpenter, Senior Tech Writer  |                                   |
| Sequent Computer Systems, Incorporated | "On the Internet, nobody knows    |
|  coryc@sequent.com                     |  you're a dog."                   |