re: Day of Triumph

To: LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU
Subject: re: Day of Triumph
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 12 Jul 1993 13:18 EDT
>Sunday 11-Jul-93 was a beautiful day up here in New England. It was nice
>enough
>to attract 90 Triumphs to the New England Triumph "Day of Triumph" at the
>Museum
>of Transportation. (My personal preference would have been to drive around all
>day, but that's another story.
>
>Highlights: One Really Nice TR4a. Black, perfect finish. Owner spent an
>estimated 300 hours detailing the engine compartment to original. Result: He's
>afraid to drive it very far now!

What a shame.  These cars (indeed all collector cars) are meant to
be driven.  Old Cars Weekly has printed numerous editorials encouraging
people to use their cars.  Sure, after a full blown restoration you
want to do the "concours" circuit, but after winning some trophies,
there's more to owning a "classic" than just awards.  Anyway, I agree
with the Old Cars Weekly folks.

> There were 2 Triumph Heralds (65 or so
>afraid to drive it very far now! There were 2 Triumph Heralds (65 or so).
>Ironically, they were the same original powder blue color. One had 17,841
>original miles...it still had the plastic from the factory on one of the door
>panels. The person showing the car was an appraiser and the car was for sale.
>Estimated value $10k! I have one question...$10k for a Herald? There were lots

He'll be very lucky to get anything over $5000.  The Heralds and other
similar cars are put up for asale with outrageous prices because they are
"rare cars."  Unfortunately for those that have them, there is no
demand for those otherwise "rare models" and the asking price either
comes down significantly or the car remains unsold.

Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!cc!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@cc.bellcore.com