for sale - TR6 stock springs (and a warning)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: for sale - TR6 stock springs (and a warning)
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1993 10:23:37 PDT
A few years back, when I was rebuilding my TR4As front suspension, I
wanted to put in new springs. So I looked in TRF's catalog and found

213165 T46 Front Coil Spring, stock grade

and bought two. When I fitted them, they were clearly the wrong thing -
the fitted length was too long to get the alignment to stock camber
specs, much less get any negative camber.

(Dana, are you listening?)

Research of this area is difficult, since the 4a is covered by
amendments to the 4 workshop manual, but the 4's front suspension is
quite different. The 4a's front suspension is almost exactly like the
250's and 6's, but those cars had a heavier 6 cylinder engine up front.
And the 250/6 workshop manual doesn't list spring rates! I don't know
if it's a spacer problem, or a production problem, or what, but I can't
use these springs. Other 4A owners may or may not have the same
problem. (I think I've seen a part number for the original springs
once, but can't find it at the moment.)

At any rate, I came across these springs in the shed. They're
essentially unused (i drove the the alignment shop on them; we found
some "sagged" TR6 springs to put in to get it aligned, so they have all
of 5 miles on them), and I'd like to be rid of them. TRF lists them for
$37.50 new; I'll sell them for $27.50 apiece to anyone who's interested.

Cheers,
chris