SU Fuel Pumps (again)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: SU Fuel Pumps (again)
From: Bob Spidell <spidell@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 93 8:32:18 PDT
Several months ago there was a discussion regarding SU fuel pumps; i.e. whether
or not to replace them and, if not, then how to properly rebuild them. In
particular, there were some comments about adding a diode for point protection,
in lieu of or in addition to the condenser.  Did anyone keep a copy of these,
and if so could they forward them to me?  Or do any of the EE-types on the Net
have any comment as to where and how the diode should be placed, and what type
of diode works best (regular or Zener)?  Apparently, the "back EMF" caused by
the magnetic field collapsing when the points open causes arcing, which
eventually destroys the points.  I'm rebuilding a fuel pump and would like
to use the most appropriate method for protecting the points.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

regards,
bob

p.s.  I installed Grose jets in the SU HD8's in my Healey 3000 and have had
no problems