RE- XJ12 NORMAL?

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE- XJ12 NORMAL?
From: "Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Date: 15 Jul 1993 08:31:56 U
                       Subject:                               Time:8:30 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          RE: XJ12 NORMAL?                       Date:7/8/93
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 93 09:49:14 -0700
From: gladish@suite.com (Brian Gladish)
Subject: XJ12 NORMAL?

Can anyone supply the actual coolant temperatures for the XJ12 which correspond
to the letters  N O R M A L ?  I know that the gauge is the same as in the XJ6,

but I doubt that the temperatures correspond.  Does anyone have a recommended
procedure to keep tabs on the right-side temperature?  The sensor is on the
left and there are thermostats on both the right and left.

Also, my shop manual refers to "early" and "late" cars, but gives no indication

as to the years and/or chassis numbers the terms apply to.

Brian
'76 XJ12C
My guess is early means carbs (thru 74) and late means fuel injected (75 on).
There were a lot of differences-changes all over the car. My 74 XJ12L with
carbs and AC runs about on the O or R of NORMAL. I use 160 deg thermostats in
the summer and 180 deg in the winter. If both are working there should be no
difference in temp between left and right banks. If you are not sure about
yours working, drop them in a pan of boiling water on the stove and lift them
out in a few minutes with pliers and see if they are open, and they should
close slowly as you hold them in the air (my wife has gotten used to me doing
this, and borrowing her candy thermometer). They should be special 2-stage
thermostats that close one passage in the engine as they open another. Could
you have an ordinary single type in one side? Mine did, put in by the PO. The
temp sensor in the block is a resistor that varies with temperature, which you
could also check the resistance of in a pan of hot water (you do have an
ohmmeter, every XJ12 owner should ;-). There may be a provision for a temp
sensor in the other side if you want to put one in, I can't remember and my car
and my chassis number info is at home. Do you have the Haynes manual? If not, I
recommend it. Rob