Re: Interior fabrics

To: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM
Subject: Re: Interior fabrics
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 93 12:05:51 PDT
> One remaining mechanical consideration:  Southern Arizona heat
> not good for british cooling.   Heap high temperatures.  I'd like
> to put in an oil cooler, but spitfire oil coolers assume a
> threaded hole in the block.  Mine's got the male variety, to take
> standard female filters.  Is this bit of maleness on the block an
> adapter that can be removed, and then presumably reattached to
> the oil cooler adaptor once in place?

Almost certainly, cast iron not being the material of choice for
extruding out into a threaded male connection.  Next time you
have the filter off for an oil change, take a peek and you'll
probably see a big hex fitting up where the threaded male end
fits into the block.

The alternative is that most aftermarket oil coolers I've seen
have an adaptor plate with a hole larger than the male connection
coming off the block.  The idea is that there's a threaded fitting
that fits snug inside the adaptor, with a female end that goes on
where the oil filter fitting comes out of your block now.  This
threaded fitting also has a male end that duplicates the threads
that are now sticking out of your engine block.  The idea is that
the adaptor plate fits to the block and sits between the filter
and the block, and the threaded fitting holds the adaptor snug
to the block and also provides the expected threads to the filter.
The problem with this is that it adds about 1" to the overall
dimension that the filter protrudes from the block, so check to
make sure you're not going to encounter problems after you mount
the cooler adaptor.  You can also of course mount a remote
filter, which is a little more expensive because it's got more
stuff in it.