Stuck Oil Seal on Sunbeam Transmission

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Stuck Oil Seal on Sunbeam Transmission
From: richards@cs.wisc.edu (Brad Richards)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 93 16:19:17 -0500
Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for about a year, but now want to tap into your
collective wisdom.  I've got a Sunbeam Alpine series IV (and a donor)
that continues to enrich and frustrate my existence.

I've had the car off of the road for a week or two for some brake
work, and while it was on the stands I've been taking care of lots of
routine chores.  One of the less routine operations was to be the
replacement of the rear oil seal in the transmission.  I got the
prop shaft out and the snap ring off, but I can't get the old seal
out for the life of me -- I've never had this much trouble with a
seal.  Part of the problem is that it's difficult to get at, but I
don't want to have to pull the transmission just for this one seal.

I've used an assortment of tools to try to pry it out, both with and
without some gentle heating.  My last attempt was with a small gear
puller.  It seemed to get a good bite, but deformed the steel part of
the seal and lost its grip before budging the oil seal.  Now what?
Is there some SOP for dealing with reluctant seals?  I'm out of ideas!

If it helps for you Sunbeam owners, the transmission is of the non-synchro
style w/o overdrive.  The seal has an inside diameter of about an inch
an a half, and the housing around the seal is fairly thin so I'd
prefer not to have to try chiseling it into pieces.

Luckily there are plenty of other things to take care of on the car,
so I can work on something else between failed attempts to remove the
seal. :-)

        Thanks in advance,
        Brad Richards