gt6/spitfire differential bushings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: gt6/spitfire differential bushings
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1993 18:11:16 PDT
The back end of the small chassis Triumph differential is attached to
the frame via a long bolt and two rubber bushings - the bushings have a
steel center tube and a steel outer casing, with a rubber donut
sandwiched between them.

I need to replace these in my diff, and can't figure a good way to get
them out. Getting the steel center tube and rubber donut out is easy,
but the outer casing doesn't seem to want to budge. I'm tempted at this
point to hacksaw through it at a couple of places and take it out in
pieces, but then I'm not sure I can get the new ones in! Pressing in my
large vise has not been successful...

Anybody know the trick?

chris