Re: British Cars Digest #886 Mon Jul 19 01:15:02 MDT 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #886 Mon Jul 19 01:15:02 MDT 1993
From: dixon@fourfold.ocunix.on.ca (dixon kenner)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1993 22:38:35 -0400
> From: pat@fegmania.wustl.edu (Patrick Niemeyer)
> Subject: '66 Spitfire - stalling problem

> I have a '66 Spitfire that has some kind of intermittant
> stalling problem.  It runs beautifully until it warms up, then
> begins to sputter.  It really feels like a fuel problem, lurching
> and then cutting out repeatedly...  and pulling the choke all the
> way out does have a big affect.

        Number one, if pulling out the choke has a positive effect on the
        way the car runs, try enrichening the mixture.  Choke out means
        more gas so if the car runs better you are too lean.  To richen the
        mixture wind the flat nuts below the SU's a couple of flats at a
        time, remembering to try and keep them balanced.

        Number two, if this does not work (and I suspect it will) try a new
        ignition coil.  When a coil is bad, it is terribly heat sensitive
        or the coil may still be good, but just be positioned too close to,
        say, the exhaust manifold.

> From: Peter Lee <petel@cs.cmu.edu>
      > Subject: now a stuck bearing
>
> Tomorrow morning, I'm going to track down the replacement bearings and then
> by a Big Hammer and also a Big Slide Hammer.  I'm going to try very very
> hard to knock the old bearings off.  If I fail, and determine that the old
> bearings are welded on, then I will have to remove the stub axle and take
> it to a machine shop and hope that they can cut the bearings off.  This
> will undoubtedly cause major damage to the stub axle, which will mean that
> at best I will only be able to limp home.  Maybe, just maybe, I will be
> able to find a stub axle at a junkyard.  Whatever happens, removing the
> spindle will mean doing a realignment, which just adds the work.
>
> Let's all pray that Wailing on the Big Hammer does the trick.
>
> Or, can anyone think of something better?  Perhaps some heat?  Someone else
> suggested trying freon, but this sounds like a good way to ruin the stub
> axle.

        Since tyhe  outer bearing races are in the hub I am going to assume
        the inner bearing races hacve seize on the spindle.  There are a
        few ways of tackling this problem.  First heat is good.  If you
        have access to torches heat the races one at a time and try and
        work each race off in succession with a chisel and hammer taking
        care not to damage the stub axle.  If this doesn't work try
        drilling a small hole through the race only enough to penetrate the
        case hardening.  You will have to centre punch the race before
        drilling.  Once the hole (1//8 inch is good) is drilled hit it
        directly with a flat chisel running parrallel to the stub axle.
        This may crack the race and facilitate removal.

        I have had best results working such a race off with an air chisel
        on the race carefully using a flat bit.

        Failing this, take a cutting torch and blow a large hole in the
        race taking care not to damage the stub axle.  A small mark in the
        stub axle can usually be burnished out.

        Excessive heat will damage the stub axle beyond repair however,
        removing the stub axle assembly from the car should not afffect
        your  alignment.  In fact replacing the bearings will probably
        bring your alignment back to spec (camber anyway) assuming the
        other components were in alignment to start with.

> From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
> Subject: Re:  '74 MGB Dieseling problem ?
>
> There are several things you can do to mitigate things.  First off,
> realize that the B is a Sports Car, and use 92-octane gasoline.  Yes,
> the '74 is supposed to have 8.0:1 compression, but if you're runnign
> on to this degree, I suspect it's raised either to the pre-72 ratio
> of 8.8:1 or, as you hint, perhaps even a little higher.  (Remember
> that overboring an engine will raise the compression ratio, as will
> truing up the head and block, so even if the rebuild didn't include
> high-compression pistons or a good deal of head-skimming, it's still
> likely to be part of a point higher than stock.)

        Scott is correct in saying to use the highest octane gas possible
        (92 is generally available in Canada) however, overboring an
        engine will *lower* the compression ratio unless higher crown
        pistons are used or the head is planed (a good idea on any MGB head
        as they tend to warp)
        > |   Ben Hodson,            |   Email : hodsonb@prl.philips.co.uk
 |
> |   Philips Research Labs, |   Tel : 0293 785544 ext 5750              |
> |   Crossoak Lane,         |-------------------------------------------|
> |   Redhill,               |   I'd rather push a Triumph than drive    |
> |   Surrey, RH1 5HA.       |   an MG, but best of all I'd vrooooommm   |
> |   England.               |   in a seven.                             |

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 19 Jul 1993 3:41:58 -0400 (EDT)
> From: HABER@CVLAB.HARVARD.EDU
> Subject: Question
>
> I have a 1964 3 synchro transmission for 3 main bearing engine which I would
> like to install in my 1966 mgb with a 5 main bearing engine. I have replaced
> the first motion shaft with that for a 5 main engine. When I tighten down the
> extension tower or the front plate (around the first motion shaft) the main
> shaft begins to bind and can no longer be turned by hand. I have tried varyin
> the shims even removing them altogether as well as doubling the gaskets and
> it still binds when the bolts are tightened. Can a 5 main shaft be put in a
> three main transmission? If it can what modification are needed? If you have
> any suggestions I would really appreciate them.
>
>                       Thanks Graham
>
> Please reply to HABER@CVLAB.HARVARD.EDU since I am not a subscriber.
>

> ------------------------------
>

> End of British Cars Digest
> ************************

I would rather vroom in a tr

Ben is correct that he would rather push a triumpm than drive an mg as they
are soawful when they run. Driving MG's is what they do best.  \Vrooming an
Austin Seven is not exactly exhiillerating \\(my 1200 baud connecting is
dying here...)) Lotus seven's are just too unreliable with that Ford lump
and Anglia gearbox and well caterham seven's are just kit cars after all
anyway.

--
dixon kenner, dixon@fourfold.ocunix.on.ca
FourFold Symmetry, Nepean, Ontario, Canada

From  rwg1@postoffice.mail.cornell.edu Tue Sep 11 11:41:42 2001