Jaguar 420 -- 'n matters arising.....

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Jaguar 420 -- 'n matters arising.....
From: "Keith Coman" <BAKC@giraffe.ru.ac.za>
Date: 21 Jul 93 13:23:30 GMT+0200
    Just a coupla comments....

 1.  The Mark 10 was the immediate predecessor -- circa 1964/5.

 2.  The 420 came in around 1967.  There was a "420 G" variant.

    Arguably the *largest* Brit production car in the last 30 years.
Most folks in the UK would be hard put to fit one into their garages:
State-side this might not be a problem!

    There's a fair number bombing around this neck of the woods.  For
what I've seen the biggie is body corrosion -- all the usual places,
but pay especial attention to the panels immediately behind the front
wheels.  A second factor is the condition of the interior.  In most
other respects the basic running gear and ancillaries are broadly
common to the later XJ-6.  (Think of the 420 as a 1st generation XJ
on steroids!)

    Generally, I guess the best way to approach the job of acquiring/
restoring one of these "Cats" is to switch into the frame of mind
that would apply to the case of an early model XJ-6.  Personally,
unless the car's got some redeeming features/is in great shape/you
gotta a lotta bux or time: getting this unit back into shape might be
a bit frustrating -- the old head versus heart dilemma of car
restorers =(:-)!
G' Luck!!
Keith Coman