Dis I get luckDid I get lucky?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Dis I get luckDid I get lucky?
From: COSTICH_ALAN/HPATC1_01@mailhub.cs.itc.hp.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 93 13:04:00 +0000
When I left work last night and got on the Interstate,
I found a neat, red TR3 parked on the on ramp, bonnet
open, body bent over the curbside front wing. Not being
in any hurry to get anywhere in particular, I stopped to
lend a hand/offer condolence.

The gentleman said he had sent his friend down the road to
call triple A. He seemed to think it was a fuel problem.
Sputtered, backfired and died. We tried turning it over
with the fuel pipe off the rear carb. Good flow. I looked
under the distributer cap, found and scrapped off some
carbon build-up. I asked when was the last change of
points and condensor. Points chnaged last year. I verified
that the points were gapped about right and were opening.

So, we put things back together and fired it up. Seemed to
run O.K. About this time the friend shows up. She had called
triple A and a flat bed was on the way. We decided that if
we had a car phone, we could cancel the call. No problem, I
said. I should have one here in a minute. (Little did they
know that we were right around the corner from my office.)
The next car along happened to be someone from my work. I
flagged him down and we cancelled triple A. ("How did you
do that?" she asked.)

We then attempted to motor on down the road...to third
gear. Sputter, backfire and stall. This time I poked about
in my spares box and found a new condensor which I put in.
Problem solved. And they all motored on happily.

So, did I get lucky or what?

And to Scott Fisher #1: my BGT does not run on when
switched off. Also, if the bore is increased, wouldn't
the compression ratio be reduced?

Alan