Re: XJ-S questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: XJ-S questions
From: rbt@itc.Kodak.COM (Bob Tufts)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 93 10:34:22 EDT
>From: mike@twinpeaks.prc.com :

I purchased an XJS a few years ago.  I did it only after about a year of
research and hunting for the perfect car. I wound up getting an '86 (3
years old at the time) with 31,000 miles. Unless you have a _lot_ of
disposable cash hanging around, I suggest you do a lot of searching.  My
car has been fine, relatively few problems, but even minor stuff costs a
ton of money to fix:

1) Leaking cam cover oil seal ($22 parts, $750 labor)
2) Cruise control ($220 parts, $100 labor)
3) Oil sensor leak ($50 parts, $100 labor)

The bad news is that this is a great XJS experience.  People I know
(through my research into purchasing one) with them (5 total, 3 purchased
new) have averaged about $2500/yr in maintenance costs.  The high in this
group was an average of $4800 and a low of $1400.  Several mechanics in the
area tell me that they warn people to expect $3000/yr on average.

Ouch!!!

When I looked into buying my Esprit I figured on doing my own maintenance
(sworking) as this was a toy and not to be the source of someone else's
income. Since I bought the car (a '79 in '87) I've put on roughly 20K miles
and the only thing I haven't done myself is evacuate & recharge the AC.
I'm getting ready to pull the engine to reseal everything, adjust valves,
change timing belt, and clean up the engine area in general. I don't
know what Lotus (or any garage) would charge, but the idea of planning
on spending 3K/year just on maintenance astounds me. (I would of pissed
away 18K by now!!! - that's out of my economic means). It's a shame, the
XJS looks like a nice car, but the maintenance costs sound like Ferarri
stuff!

my condolences!

-Bob T.