Questions from a SOL wanna-be.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Questions from a SOL wanna-be.
From: carter@sstcx1.lanl.gov (Michael J. Carter)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1993 16:31:37 +000
SOLers,

I've been lurking around this list for about a couple of months and have a
few questions. I intend to get a LBC as soon as my Montero is paid off
(about a year away), then I'll have something to haul parts around in ;^).
In the mean time, I'd like to learn as much as possible and make sure I know
what I'm getting myself into.

I've always been interested in cars, read car mags as a kid etc, but have
never had the opportunity to get my hands very dirty.  I consider myself to
be fairly mechanically oriented but without a lot of hands-on experience.
On top of that I don't have a garage so a major restoration job is out of
the question.  What I'm after is a LBC that is in need of a little TLC -
that is a drivable car which can slowly be brought up to snuff.

At this point I think I want a MG.  I like the looks of the MGA over the B
but B's are probably going to be more inline with my budget (~$2000 (is this
reasonable/rational/laughable?)).  If suitable A's are avialable in this
price range then that would be great.  If not, perhaps an early B to avoid
the hp-robbing smog gear and rubber bumpers (ugh!).  From what I've read
'65'-68 seem to be the golden years for the B, 5 main bearings/all syncro
tranny/no smog gear.  Is this true?

Other than the 'car traders' and Hemmings as sources for used cars, I have
seen it suggested that one join a 'one marque' car club to gain info and
contacts for possible purchase.  Any comments?  Is there such an animal for
MG's?

Thanks for listening and I look forward to your input.  Please post to the
list or directly to me as you see fit.

I'll find my seat on the fence now.......

Michael Carter
carter@sstcx1.lanl.gov