"Its never the gauge"

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: "Its never the gauge"
From: sanders@hydra.unm.edu
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1993 13:21:02 -0600
Hi
I have been having some oil pressure trouble on my 69 MGB.  The pressure
would drop to 45-50 during sustained steady runs. I had worried about the
internals of the newish motor and went as far as changing the oil pump and
relief spring with no effect. It now looks like the problem is in the gauge,
or more specifically, the electric sender for the gauge.
These used to be unreasonably expensive when the one on my 68 croaked ~8
years ago. I ended up cracking that one open, fixing internals, and epoxying
it back together. Apparently works fine ever since. Putting that one on the
69 gives strange readings.  After idling at ~75, it pegs out at ~100 during
running. Granted the pump is the modified higher-flow type, the relief
spring is the higher pressure one, and the engine should be pretty tight,
but I don't believe it. So...

Has anyone tried using any aftermarket senders? Is the direct reading oil
pressure gauge effective and worth the hassle of routing tubing to the back
of the dash? Any cheap sources for MG senders?

Any help/comments appreciated
John Sanders
sanders@unm.edu