Re: "Its never the gauge"

To: sanders@hydra.unm.edu
Subject: Re: "Its never the gauge"
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 93 12:57:24 PDT
`
> Has anyone tried using any aftermarket senders? Is the direct reading oil
> pressure gauge effective and worth the hassle of routing tubing to the back
> of the dash? Any cheap sources for MG senders?

As a diagnostic, try connecting a mechanical gauge to the flex hose.
If you've got a sympathetic MG junkyard, you can often pick these up
real cheaply from a number of MGBs, including at least the 1973
model year.  I've got a gauge, plus the bronze capillary tube, from
a 1973 parts car that I'm waiting to install in the '71.  (I have
the same problem with that exorbitantly expensive sender -- it's
something like $110, and I'm still not sure the problem isn't in
the electric gauge that goes with it, which is another $50 or $60.)

So if you don't mind hot oil running just behind the dashboard (hey!
another place to leak!  Keeps the car happy!), this is the cheapest
swap available, and depending on the gauge in your car it can even
fit the available dashboard cutout.