TR6 starting

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 starting
From: paulg@cme.nist.gov (Paul Gilders)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 93 10:58:54 EDT
Hi folks,

        Just after some more comment on another little niggling thing
that is happening to my TR6 at the moment - concerned mainly with the
way it starts. Firstly, I think I must report that I am happy as to
the way my TR6 is running in general at the moment and I know that the
points and ignition are working well and that the carbs are well
balanced and tuned for normal running (after many checks of the plug
state). I do run the car every day to work, which is a journey of a
mere 2 miles or so, and I have noticed a trend in the way it starts
which I would really like to be able to attribute to something.

        Once I've finally got myself out of the house at sometime near
8.00am in the morning, I peel back the toneau cover and lower myself
into position and attempt to place the ignition key in the slot (well
it is early morning!). Since temperatures are relatively warm in the
DC area, I normally refrain from pulling out the choke at all and find
that I have to turn the engine over for about 15-20 seconds before I
get my first spitting and banging. Once I manage to get initial
combuistion, the engine will rev up for about 3-4 seconds and then die
again. This will normally occur a couple more times before I am able
to keep the engine running (and I'm not just letting it idle here -
this is giving it a little gas).  Once I can sustain the engine, I am
able to pull out of the parking lot - as long as I can keep the revs
above about 1200rpm - anything lower will cause stalling, although
restarting is immediate. I have tried pulling out the choke a little,
but in my experience this worsens the situation - causing almost
instantaneous spluttering and then silence. Once, I've done the 800
yards down the road the engine begins to idle smoothly and will pull
reasonably well at low revs.

        The wierd thing for me is that having left the car for about
the same length of time (approx 9 hours) in the parking lot at work,
the car will start up immediately at 5.30pm-ish, and exhibit none of
the behaviour I have in the morning. So I can only attribute this
difference to temperature/weather conditions (hotter during the day)
OR the manner in which I park - normally slightly nose down at work,
OR maybe the condition I leave it in when I park - e.g. I leave it in
the evening having done more than a few miles with everything hot, but
it's left in the morning having only done a few miles so the oil isn't
warm.  Anyway, it's really weird to me.

        My first guess would be fuel - maybe it drains out or
evaporates more overnight - why, I can't explain. I do know that my
throttle shafts are considerably worn and therefore evaporation could
most certainly occur. However, I would have thought this problem would
be more apparent during evening starting rather than morning. My other
guess might be oil leaking down into the cylinders through the valve
guides/stems - maybe this takes time to burn off - but I DON'T burn
much oil and I DON'T have blue smoke out the back when I start.

        Can anybody give any other explanations as to why I have
strange starting symptoms in the morning - is my car just exhibiting
personal feelings - maybe it just doesn't want to go to work?

        Thanks,

        Paul.