Scotty continues westward...

To: b-c@tin.monsanto.com
Subject: Scotty continues westward...
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 93 10:56:29 -0500
Mark Grieshaber and I had breakfast with Scotty Paisly this morning. He
spent the night at Mark's place, and Mark treated him to a St. Louis
specialty, a Ted Drewes frozen custard.

Scotty mentioned that after putting the new brake shoe in the TR6 (note the
singular) he smelled the aroma of burning brake linings for a while. After
waiting a while (at highway speeds) the smell went away. The car made it to
St. Louis in fine shape.

He has about an 8-hour drive to Great Bend, KS, today, then another drive to
Boulder tomorrow. From here on out, it's flat and straight. He's taking the
southern route through Missouri, I-44, because of the problems with I-70
around Columbia. I know that I-70 was closed at Rocheport at the approach to
the Missouri River bridge. Even when it was open, there was only one usable
lane, serving BOTH directions...

He's out now checking out the flooding. It's quite a phenomenal sight. Last
night I drove past the (now closed) ramp into highway 40 that goes to the
Daniel Boone bridge over the Missouri River. Highway 40 is one of two main
arteries from St. Charles, MO, into St. Louis. It was so strange to see
six lanes of major highway simple dropping into a large sea. I would say
several miles of 40 are under water. I also drove by the Spirit of St. Louis
airport, where there is a stand of about 8 feet of water. Incredible. There
are National Guardsmen everywhere. Anyone caught in a boat in the floodwaters
is arrested.

We had an interesting time talking about the incredible force of nature. If
mankind wanted to make a lake that size it would take years of effort. What
we see now as a huge lake took overnight, basically. I guess it takes somthing
like this to put us humans in our place.

Larry