Spridget Lower Wishbone/Spring Pan

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spridget Lower Wishbone/Spring Pan
From: alevinso@motown.ge.com
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 93 11:05:22 EDT
Folks,

Can anybody advise re. availability of a rebuild kit for Spridget front
suspension lower Wishbone/Spring Pans (lower A-Arms). Allegedly, the kit
replaces the wornout lower fulcrum pin threaded sleeves which are brazed (?)
into the spring pans. I was told that it is possible to remove the wornout
sleeves (either with torch or machine them out with a vertical milling machine)
and to braze/weld the replacement threaded sleeves. I need to replace the
spring pans on my '60 Bugeye (5 years into a ground up rebuild of a total
basket case. I was young, innocent and did not know what I was getting myself
into). The replacement spring pans cost $125.00 each and I was told to stay
away from cheap Brazilian (?) reproductions. I have access to a reasonably well
equipped machine shop and would like to try to fix the old ones before I
resign to part with $250+. I may even try making the replacement sleeves myself
but not sure of the material used. Judging by the wear, it looks like soft
low-carbon steel. That wonderful British engineering!

Thanks in advance,

Alex Levinson
alevinso@motown.ge.com