The bum rap persists...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: The bum rap persists...
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1993 10:30:26 -0700 (MST)
 rsp00@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Roger S Peng) writes:

> Damn British cars! why can't they make them more reliable?
> [much else elided]

Well, by its very nature this list is showing you the bad side of LBC
ownership.  People don't post "car still running great" messages
very often.  They post when they're stumped.

And very often they're dealing with Previous Owner Damage And
Neglect, which can be an awful experience.

In my personal and secondhand experience, older Britcars are as
reliable as any car of equal vintage, including the Japanese.
20 year old Toyotas are no more reliable, I can tell you
authoritatively.  No britcar has ever stumped me or caused me
as much frustration as a couple of early 70's Nipponese jobs I've
had.

If a britcar fails, it gives plenty of warning, and it does so
for a pretty good reason.  And they're rather easy to fix, on the
whole.  You're hearing a lot of worst-case stuff on this list.

The only advantage the older Japanese cars have is that they
generally endure neglect a little better.  But who but a wanker
would negect a sportscar?