Re: British Priming oil SYSTEMSen

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Priming oil SYSTEMSen
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdbc.vid.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 93 14:27:49 PDT
| Subject: How to prime your oil pump, etc?

| ..........It seems
| to me that simply sticking the nose of the oil pump in a small pail of
| (clean) oil, then hand turning the engine before reinstalling the oil
| pan. Is it as easy as that?.................|
| Skip (montanaro@crd.ge.com)

Skip

the point was not to simply prime the oil pump (a thin coat of assembly
lube is all it needs) You should prefill the oil gallerys and the
oil filter and any oil cooler you may be running as well as its lines.
this offen takes a quart or more of oil.

there were notes yesterday on the net that mentioned 3 alternate ways
to do this:

1) just before you are ready to start the engine, remove the spark plugs
and crank the engine on the starter until you see good oil pressure
indicated on the guage. This may take longer then you expect. When you've
got oil pressure, reinstall the plugs and fire it up.

2) use a pressureized external oil tank connected to the oil gallery.

3) Before you install the distributor use an electric drill to drive the
oil pump. For a TR250 you have to set the drill to turn BACKWARDS to
turn the pump the proper direction. (Anti-clockwise when viewed from
above)

Of these alternatives numbers 2 or 3 are best, but involve bits and pieces
you may not have. Number 1 is good enough though.

You also may want to consider using a late tr6 oil pump in your 250, they
have better flow.

call me if you have a question

Dick Nyquist
(415)854-6702 home