The Lucas Torpedo

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: The Lucas Torpedo
From: rsp00@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Roger S Peng)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 93 15:27 PDT
> > Even normally reliable American parts, once you put it into a British
> > car, it's going to start acting up!
> Could be worse.  Could be Bosch.

>I couldn't let this bald snub pass without comment.
>First, what kind of American part is it that you think
>is "normally reliable"? I have yet to find even one
>such part, regardless of the car it is installed on.

This is an easy one. Here are some parts shared by the Jaguar XJS and
my dad's '78 Chevy Carprice: Delco A/C compressor, GM automatic
transmission, window lift motors. When you put these parts on
the XJS, the freon would leak out of the compressor, fluid would leak
out of the transmission, and window motors would burn out.
Our Carprice has 140K miles on it, still with the original compressor,
original transmission (all in perfect working order), and all windows
go up and down like the day we bought it.

Maybe I should make one point clear. Despite my complaints, I have been
a British car fan for a long time. I currently own two Jaguar XJ12's
(77 and 74); both of which I work on myself.

                                        Roger Peng