Re: lever shocks

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: lever shocks
From: dave@stargazer.pacdata.com (David Ambrose)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 93 14:06:28 PDT

>>> My TR6 lever shocks are tired and worn out.  They just don't dampen
>>> heavy duty shock oil for starters.  Anything else anyone has tried?
>>>
>>> jim
>>
>>  Anyway, I had
>>leaks in the lever shocks.  Reasoning that thicker oil leaks out slower
>>than that thin stuff in there, I topped them off with STP.
>>This did two things: it slowed the leaks quite a bit, and made the dampers
>>_much_ stiffer :-)
>>--
>>
>My Austin-Healey 3000 Bentley reprint shop manual says 20W mineral oil
>may be used in lieu of the "official" shock oil.  Don't know that this
>will increase the dampening, though.  I have also used hydraulic jack
>oil with no adverse effects.

        I've been using motorcycle fork oil.  30W is stiffer than stock by
a fair piece and 40W is available for masochists.  You local motorcycle
shop should have all this.  Be careful though,  you may find out (as I did)
that your SO looks just great on a Harley Sportster.  :-)

        Dave Ambrose
        dave@pacdata.com