Differences between DOT4 and DOT5 brake fluid

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Differences between DOT4 and DOT5 brake fluid
From: "Geoff (G.W.) Nichols" <nicholsg@bnr.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1993 17:08:00 +0000
Greetings!

I have received all kinds of warnings about how DOT4 and DOT5
brake fluids are incompatible and so I tried to remove all traces
of DOT4 fluid before adding the DOT5 fluid. I also replaced all
of the seals in the system (except for the brake light switch seal).
As I was bleeding the system, I found some drops of DOT4 fluid coming out
of the rear wheel cylinder so some kind of mixture has taken place.

Does mixing these fluids cause the boiling point to drop below that of
DOT4? The reason I am using DOT5 fluid is to extend the life of my
brake system. Since DOT5 does not absorb water, corrosion should be
less of a problem.

I guess my question is what *exactly* is the effect of mixing very small
amounts of DOT4 with DOT5 brake fluid?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff Nichols, nicholsg@bnr.ca