Re: Differences between DOT4 and DOT5 brake fluid

To: nicholsg@bnr.ca
Subject: Re: Differences between DOT4 and DOT5 brake fluid
From: mjb@triumph (Mark J Bradakis)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 93 15:14:02 -0600
The main troubles with mixing DOT 4 and DOT 5 involves water.  The two types
do not mix, so if there is any DOT 4 fluid in the system, it will tend to
collect into "bubbles" of DOT 4 fluid.  That in itself is no big deal.  The
trouble is that the DOT 5 doesn't absorb water, the 4 does.  So these little
bubbles of 4 act as sponges, soaking up the atmospheric water that collects
in the system.  The water greatly reduces the boiling point, so if the water
logged bubble is near a calpier or wheel cylinder, it can boil into steam
under braking, giving a soft pedal.  Also, as the concentration of water in
the DOT 4 bubble goes up, so does the chance of corrosion around that area.

Offhand, I wouldn't worry about it, I doubt there's enough DOT 4 to cause
any trouble.

mjb.