Brake problem on '76 MGB

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake problem on '76 MGB
From: mcleod@esprit.esd.sgi.com (Rick McLeod)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1993 13:34:11 -0700
I've got a '76 MGB that's exhibiting a problem with brakes and was
hoping that some kind people out there might be able to steer me
in the right direction for troubleshooting and/or repairing this
problem.

The problem:
        The brake system seems to lose pressure when the engine
        is idling slowly.  The pedal goes farther to the floor
        than when the engine is revving higher.  Sometimes it
        feels like there's almost no brakes at all - the car
        is difficult as hell to stop.

        This is particularly noticable when I come off of the
        highway, put the clutch in letting the engine go to a
        low idle while approaching the stop sign at the end of
        the off ramp.  My son actually went through a light
        because he couldn't get the car to stop quick enough.
        You can actually feel the pedal drop toward the floor
        if your foot's on it.

        Downshifting into a lower gear and letting the engine
        rev higher keeps the brake pressure up.

What I've done:

        I've bled the brake system with no effect whatsoever.

        Talked to a couple of people.  One suggested that it
        might be the servo unit.  He said only a mechanic would
        be able to tell if it's really working (ok, how?).  And
        apparently new servo units are not available - the
        current one must be rebuilt.

        I've looked at the little check valve on the intake
        manifold that connects to the servo unit.  It seems to
        let air pass in one direction, not in the other (as I
        might guess).  The line going to the servo seems intact
        (i.e. no obvious slits, holes and not plugged up).

So, I want to know:

        Am I following the right trail by looking at the servo?

        Or is the master cylinder really to blame?  OR....?

        Any tips on what to look for (at)?

Thanks bunches.

mcleod

--