Muddy Pig, day 2

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Muddy Pig, day 2
From: montnaro@ausable.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 93 23:40:24 EDT
Well, the rod and main bearings and new oil pump went in the TR-250 this
evening, with only a small amount of sworking. The only potentially serious
problem I had was that the gasket between the block and the front engine
plate tore when I removed the sealing block that covers main bearing
#1. After a quick chat with Dave Furiani at Kim's Imports in Amsterdam, NY
(worth the trip if you're ever in the Albany, NY area, just to see what
they're working on), I concluded that I would be able to effect a
satisfactory repair with a little extra silicone gasket compound. We'll
see. The oil pan and timing cover bolts were so loose, I can't possibly
imagine leaking more oil when I'm done than before.

So the two tasks left for tomorrow are to double check all the bearings and
seal it up. Hopefully I won't have so much oil pressure that I blow the tube
off the back of the oil pressure gauge...

Skip (montanaro@crd.ge.com)

What's that dear? I can't hear you. I've got grease where? In my ear? Oh
that.  That's one of the best kept secrets of Nunzio Picata, the greatest
Italian wanker of all time. What's a wanker? It's an automotive term of high
praise, usually reserved for only the best mechanics. You see Nunzio was the
Ferraghini factory's best. In auto racing, it's important to keep your
engine fastidiously clean, so that if you see oil on the engine, you know
there's trouble. You can't spot fresh oil on a dirty engine. Nunzio's theory
was that if the grease was on you, it couldn't be on the engine. It's
commonly known in mechanics' circles as the Pizza Greece hypothesis.