British Cars Digest #912 Fri Aug 20 01:15:02 MDT 1993

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: British Cars Digest #912 Fri Aug 20 01:15:02 MDT 1993
From: british-cars-request@autox.team.net
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 93 01:15:04 -0600
------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 93 15:58:20 PDT
Subject: Re: British Engineering Triumph-ant...

> And I know that the Morris Minor, which was designed starting in 1942
> or 43, has rack and pinion steering, which is much earlier than the TR
> sports cars had them (the earlier roadsters all seem to have used screw
> and nut or cam and roller steering).

Multivalve engines, unfortunately, we have to credit to the French.
The 1911 Grand Prix Peugeot is generally considered the first car to
use the "modern" four-valve-per-cylinder design, complete with dual
cams and pent-roof combustion chambers.  Of course, it probably had
a 5:1 compression ratio...

> (The Morris Minor, staid as it may seem, was the source of running gear
> for an awful lot of cars, including the Spridget family...)

Also for most of the serious sports-racers of the Fifties, such as
the Lister in the UK and Lance Reventlow's beautiful and very very
fast Scarab racers here in the States.

In a book I purchased, entitled "Historic Racing Cars of Australia
and New Zealand", there is a description of a sports racing special
with a DeHaviland 4cyl, 6.5 liter aircraft engine and morris minor
brakes...that could be exciting.

Jim

jfuerstenberg@dcmdc.dla.mil

he "firmly believed that highway speed limits were merely social guidelines to
be used by the weak and confused."

>from  "Full Moonster" by Nick Pollotta

All opinions contained herein are not be construed as that of my employer, as
I am not authorized to have an opinion.