TR6 trans update

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: TR6 trans update
From: paisley@central.bldrdoc.gov (Scott W. Paisley 303-497-7691)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 93 13:11:50 MDT
Mark_Banaszak-Holl@brown.edu writes:

 > I don't think of stock Spridgets as high performance.  They're far
 > too dependable for that catagory (and far too slow).  (BTW, how's
 > your car doing Scotty?).

Now you've done it.  You went and called your car dependable.  That's
what I called mine and look what happened!  Well, it's still never
left me stranded.  I'm still amazed that your running the the same
gearbox and engine.  Have you EVER pulled the head on that car?

Scotty wrote:

 > After putting the TR6 on the lift, the fellow at the shop found that
 > the clicking in the transmission was not comming from the transmission
 > at all.  It was from the overdrive.

Well, the guy with the steth was wrong.  It was in the trans.  Kats
british car service found that the layshaft is burned up from doing
the turning that a bearing was supposed to be doing.  I also managed
to toast the 1st/reverse lay gear & shaft (I think). ($200 part!) So
it looks like my rebuild is going to be costing me between $800-$900.
*sigh* Well, I'll still just be ahead of TRF rebuit unit due to the
shipping charges to Colorado.  He said that the Overdrive was fine and
it was a good thing I stopped driving it when I did.  The debris in
the oil could have been a bad thing!

HOWEVER, this shop I found in Denver is very cool.  The owner Jim is
quite a nice guy and has done more than I could ask for.  He knows
that the TR is my only car and he is working his best to get my trans
done ASAP.  Basically he's waiting for parts.  Upon driving up to the
shop, there were many Jags, AHs, TRs, and MGs.  He had a small
parts/salvage yard with lots of amazing things.  Like a hardtop for my
TR6 for instance!  It's not a factory hardtop, but I think I'll pick
it up and make the TR my daily driver to get the cost per mile down.
For picking a british shop at random, I think I did quite good.
Lawrence and Anne made some friends there as Kats liked the idea that
these folks owned a Daimler, and Kats could be a good local parts
place for Lawrence.  I tried to get Jim to pay me some commision, but
he didn't go for it.  :-)

I let you know how the TR climbs the hills after the new trans is in
place.

More adventures to come!

-Scotty