Hi!

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Hi!
From: jerry@tr2.com
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1993 22:54:59 +0000 (GMT)
Hello again, everybody!

   It seems like an age and a half ago that I turned off my
british-cars subscription before going on vacation to Moscow.

Well, I came back from Moscow safe and sound, but without any
cool iron curtain cars :-).  Unfortunately, I had to do ``work''
at work, and so had to hold off on resubscribing.

   Since that time, beside spending an entirely unreasonable
amount of time on home improvement, I've had a few british
car adventures....

   ``The Clankster''( my TR2 )  once again lived up to its
moniker.  I was driving home from work, it started making
this terrible noise.  It sounded like the engine coming
apart, like broken bits were clattering round and round
in there.  I popped the hood, and fully expected to see
a broken fan blade whipping around on a thread, bashing
up the radiator....  Nothing.  Although, interestingly
enough, the car was running on one carb!  There was a
broken accellerator shaft coupling.   The noise seemed
to be coming from the top front of the engine.

  I called Bills Towing.  ``Tow from Palo Alto to San
Mateo?  You say you want a flatbed?  That'll be $81,
please :-(.  Thank god for plastic.

   A busy life prevented me from looking at the Clankster
for a couple of days.  I figured( hoped! ) it might be
a broken water pump impeller.  My british-car buddy around
the block thought it might be a broken rocker arm pedestal
stud.

   I popped the valve cover:  studs all ok!  ( whew )
Now to look at the water pump.  Levered off the fan belt
with a screwdriver.....

   The fan belt was missing about three inches of rubber!
Every time that spot with the missing rubber hit a pulley...

                   *** Clank! ***

   Having got the Clankster back on the road, I turned my
attention to my MGA.  This little guy has been sitting in
my garage in various stages of undress for the past three
years.  It all started with a fried throwout bearing.
Having pulled the engine to get at the bearing, I thought
I might detail the engine compartment a little...

  I wound up stripping the engine compartment to bare
metal, taking off the fenders and doors, stripping them to
bare metal, blah blah blah etc etc.

   Then home improvement hit.  Somehow I wound up building
an addition to my house instead of working on the car! For
two years!  Life sucked.  I sent the car to a local bodyshop
to be painted.  Orange peel city :-(.  Not only that, he
oversprayed my gas tank and front end, both of which I had
laboriously stripped and sprayed black Imron.  ARGH!

   Now the addition is, if not finished, at least weatherproof,
and I can spend a little time on the MG.  This Friday, it took
me to work for the first time in three years.  True, there was
no interior, just a pair of seats and the dash.  And the car
was pulling severely to the right.

   Once at work, I inspected the front end:  ``gee, how come
this wheel points out when that wheel's pointing straight?''
Luckily, I had thought to bring a few tools, and was able to
do a quickie-by-eye front end alignment there in the parking
lot.  Sure enough, the pulling was gone.  This morning, my
JC Whitney toe-in guage confirmed that my eyeball alignment
was almost spot-on, just a teensy bit too much toe-in.

  In the summer, a young man's fancy turns to carpet.... I
got out the Moss Deluxe carpet set that I'd bought so many
years ago ( say, uh, 7 years ago? ).  Uh, oh.  None of the
pieces matched anything in the car.  Hadn't I checked the
thing when I bought it?  What's Moss' policy on 7-year-old
returns, anyway?

   ( More rooting through the junk )

   Whew!  Wrong carpet set!  That wasn't the MGA set;  it
was a TR3 set that I bought from TeriAnn Wakeman. ( Hi there,
TeriAnn!  Long time no see! ).

  Further rooting produced:

   *  A new set of Moss sidecurtains
   *  A new spare tire cover
   *  A new, 66-month-guarantee JC Whitney top.
      ( First time I opened that box:  the vinyl is ``pinpoint grained'';
        I'll hold final judgement until its on the car, but it looks really
        cheap in the box.  )
   *  A set of Moss MGA rubber mats.

   Gonna be an awesome car.  I can hardly wait.   Took
two vacation days next week just to work on it.  Life is kind
:-).

--
* Jerry Kaidor       jerry@tr2.com, jkaidor@synoptics.com     *
*                    KF6VB                                    *