Greasing Big Healey U-joints

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Greasing Big Healey U-joints
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 93 11:12:39 pdt
During the U-joint discussion last week someone mentioned using a
special attachment for their grease gun to grease the U-joints on a big
Healey.  The big Healey I owned ('61 "4-seater") had a plate on top of
the transmission hump that was easily removed by undoing a special low
profile wingnut.  The purpose of this plate was to provide access to one
of the U-joints.  I've forgotten which one but access from underneath
with impossible.  Unfortunately I didn't realize what this plate was for
until just before I sold the car.  In the mean time I went through a lot
of agony trying to grease this joint.  Maybe earlier Healeys or
2-seaters didn't have this feature.

I've adopted this same approach for the rear driveshaft U-joint on the
snake.  Access isn't as bad as it was on the Healey but still a bitch.
Sure made U-joint greasing easier.

Roland