Re: Tiger motor swap (John Adams)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tiger motor swap (John Adams)
From: jaminaz@halcyon.com
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1993 10:39:09 -0700 (PDT)

   Frank Marrone asked ...

> >I have a '64 Sunbeam Tiger with a worn out 260CI engine.  Rather than
> >rebuild the 260 I would like to install a later model 289CI engine.
> >Besides the obvious increase in displacement the later 289s' are much
> >more plentiful and the method used to guide the push rods is improved.
> >All 260CI Ford small blocks have a 5 bolt bellhousing while most 289s'
> >have the 6 bolt pattern which was introduced in early 1965.

   and John replied ...

> I was recently at a collector car auction and watched with great interest the
> biding on a Tiger with a 302. It didn't sell. I tracked down the owner
> afterwards for a "market status update." He said that collectors want 260s. If
> you want more power there are lots of things you can do to a 260. Of course
>you
> have to figure out how to get more power to the ground :-).
>
> Then again, resale doesn't matter if you couldn't bring yourself to part with
>it
> anyway.

   Frank, I would have to agree with John on this one. I owned a Tiger
for about 16 years (yes I sold it, but thats another story). I
considered an engine swap, but when it came down to it, I was happy that
didn't say how long you have owned the car. It seems to take a while to
come to terms with the real nature of the car, as a competent high speed
touring car, not the fabled "Poor man's Cobra".
  If you do want to go through with the swap, there is a wealth of
knowledge in various Tiger clubs. Just remember that a lot of the
original parts are getting hard to find if they break.
Good luck, and keep us posted with your decision.

 - Jim