More British Car reliability

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: More British Car reliability
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 93 14:41:55 PDT
          Rik Schlierer expounds about the virtues of LBC
     reliability which I heartily support with my own
     experiences with Redcar.
          In the 8 yrs. of owning her I have had to bring
     her home on a trailer exactly three times; Once for the
     distributor self-destructing, once because a synchro
     had broken while in fourth locking me in fourth, and
     once when a large portion of Mt. Hamilton lept out in
     front of me and smote the driver's side wing :-( And
     although she's no longer my daily driver, I've still
     logged 30k + miles in these years.
          I chalk it all up to good car karma, of which my
     two brothers have none.
          Both Healey owners (either past or current), they
     drive without listening, looking, smelling, and are
     terribly afraid of working on their cars. They are
     mystical mechanical contraptions that should only be
     worked on by a professional mechanic, or daren. And
     consequently, their Healeys spent a lot of time not
     running. Unreliable cars, sheesh.
          I listen, look, and even smell Redcar every time
     we go anyplace, and am not afraid of "unwarranted"
     fiddling if I sense something isn't right. And as a
     result she's given me many joyful miles, and countless
     happy memories.
          The only advice I ever tried to give my brother
     before he bought his Sprite, was to be conscious of
     this car. Pay attention to it as if it were your soulmate,
     listen to what it tells you, and don't be afraid of it.
     Do these things and it will rarely let you down.
     Unfortunately it went largely unheeded, as the Sprite
     now sits under cover in a garage, and my brother tools
     around unconscious in a Rabbit convertible.
          Oh well, maybe car karma isn't hereditary.

          cheers-
                 dstone@sc9.intel.com